Hypnosis CDs are often used to help people make changes in their life. Used properly and conscientiously, they can be powerful and effective tools which can help you achieve the change you want to make in your life.
Typical subjects covered by hypnosis CDs include:
- Weight loss
- Smoking Cessation
- Improving confidence – either in general or in specific situations, for example in interviews or when making presentations/public speaking
- Overcoming common phobias including, for example, fear of flying
- Overcoming insomnia
- Stress reduction and anxiety management.
They offer a relatively inexpensive alternative to face-to-face therapy. They require a certain degree of discipline and aren’t, therefore, suitable for everybody and some issues are best dealt with face but, for some people, they can work as effectively for certain conditions or problems. They can also be a useful back up (a bit like a battery charger) to supplement any face-to-face hypnotherapy sessions.
High quality, professionally produced CDs will include a user guide to help you get the most out of them and some companies also offer support via email. Some programmes have specific instructions or optional extras. As a general rule, the following guidelines apply to all hypnosis CDs-whoever has produced them and whatever they are about:
- Make sure you’re in a safe environment-if you’re driving a car, operating machinery, under the influence of alcohol or drugs, stop and listen later when it’s safe to do so. Even if you’re a passenger-stop the CD and listen later (unless you’re using headphones) so that your driver can focus on driving safely.
- Schedule in time to listen to the CD on a regular basis. Preferably the same time each day. Make sure you leave enough time to listen to the entire recording without interruption.
- Pay attention to the environment-private, quiet, undisturbed. Pay attention to lighting (subdued) and seating (make sure you have a comfortable chair- couch, or bed)-which will support you fully as you relax.
- If you can, use headphones to listen to the CD. This will help intensify the experience and, where bilateral sounds and/or double inductions are used, mean you’ll get full benefit.
Hypnosis CDs are not quick fixes. They can be a powerful and effective alternative to meeting with a therapist face to face. The more effort you put in-the more you’ll get out. So, when you buy a hypnosis CD, make sure you schedule in sufficient time to listen to it-on a regular basis. You’d do that if you were meeting with your therapist in person- so make sure you do it when meeting with your ‘virtual’ therapist.